Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #8: RSS feeds

I'm not so sure about RSS feeds. I can see the argument that RSS feeds tend to save time. But honestly I think there is something to be said for atmosphere of visiting your favorite websites. When I signed up for the Google Reader I signed up for some of the packages they offer according to what my interests are. I signed up for three packages news, sports and celebrities. Once I signed up for those packages I had more than 15 feeds with more than 170 new stories. I guess I just need to get all these feeds under control because I do not imagine how having 170 new things to read instantly is going to save me time. I think the RSS feeds that are on you iGoogle or MyYahoo! are more useful and not so out of control. I also spent some time browsing websites looking for the little orange button to connect that website to my reader and I couldn't find it on any of the websites that I suspected might have it. I'm going to have to investigate further before I decide if the google reader is going to be useful to me. Like I said, I think there's soemthing about atmostphere that is lacking while using the feeder. The only redeeming factor is that the reader has a link to the actual website. I think I will always prefer getting my information from the actual website.

1 comment:

Mamalibearian said...

This is one of those things that people either really like or really don't. I agree with you about visiting some websites, but I don't want to check blogs for every one I read every day. so I use the RSS reader for blogs and visit websites for the other. Remember, the point of "playing" is to know what's out there and see what you can use. You don't have to like every "thing".