Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing #11: Library Thing

Library thing seems great for librarians. I can see why a quarter of the site's members are librarians. At first I added some of just my favorite books: All the Harry Potters and some Jane Austen novels. When you add books you can see how many members also have the same books in their libraries as well. Then I added some lesser known books like some Texas History references and some comedy books. You can see how the list of people who share your interests grows smaller when I add less general books. I think this site could be useful to me in two ways, first in its suggestions based on what's in my library so I can find books I've never heard of but would be likely to enjoy and second, when I explored the groups there was a group for Social Studies teachers. I could join the group and read up on what's going on in my content area across the country. Feel free to comment on any more specific ideas on how this website could benefit me in the classroom. Neat website!

2 comments:

musicgirl said...

I read a post from one of our summer players (can't remember who it was now) to have the students post their own book reviews and favorites within Library Thing. Would this be something you would be interested in?

Kristina said...

I would be interested in having students post book reviews but I have not been in a position yet to have students read entire books in my class. I have been teaching U.S. History in 8th grade which is TAKS tested leaving us no breathing room at all for things such as book groups or reading a book as a class. I have moved schools now and I'm about to be teacing new cirriculums with government and economics and I once I get familiar and settled in I will see what kinds of things we can do.